Wednesday, April 11, 2007

BYU = are you serious?


BYU
Originally uploaded by newfoundbeauty05.
I can't believe I'm going back here. I can't believe I'm 39 and I'm freaking going back to school.

The last time I was there I was in my early 20s, Oingo Boingo was really cool, there was an awesome dance club called "Plastique", my friends were all skaters and played in a band called "Second Thoughts". I took school semi-seriously and stalking my really cute French Grad Student/Prof. quite seriously. I learned how much I loved Morrissey. I learned to love Kurt Vonnegut and JD Salinger. I made my own t shirts out of sharpies and boys undershirts. I loved wearing ripped jeans to class and getting away with it (we weren't suppose to...dress code nonesense) I loved reading the underground student paper which the adminstration hated. I loved going to the French and Italian Cinema and Foreign films showed on campus every Friday. Loved my philosophy class taught by an ex-hippie professor, who somehow recognized a fellow rebel in me and gave me all A's on my papers in spite of the fact that I looked like pretty much everyone else in that class. I loved going into SLC for Rocky Horror Picture Show - and sometimes Nannette and I would chicken out and not go to the RHPS - because the crowd looked "wrong" somehow. Loved going to SLC to the bookstore "cosmic aerplane", loved how it smelled and I loved picking out used books. There was a head shop downstairs but we never really went in there, just the rest of the store was seriously awesome (and sadly, it is gone now). I had an absolutely marvelous time there in so many ways.

And now?

To go back?

Crazy. I am a surburban housewife with 3 children and TONS of grown up responsibilities and it will be completely nuts to fly there back and forth every week like I am some kind of corporate commuter. Crazy.

I don't even know if I'm doing the right thing or not but I feel like I'm on some trajectory I can't quite stop.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails