Monday, October 18, 2010

Can this outfit be a room?

C

an this outfit be a room? (or what your taste in fashion might mean to your home decor)

One of my favorite features in the old (now defunct) Domino Magazine was "Can this Outfit be a Room"...they would take someone's personal style statement and then create decor around it. I miss Domino so much for many reasons, but that feature is one of the things I really miss.

Every once in a while I run across a fashion photo on the internet that I really like. For whatever reason - maybe the colors or even the photography, the styling, there's an art to fashion which I appreciate. I think it's one of the reasons I'm so hooked on project runway - so much of what they do is so artistic and creative. And being creative under pressure has to be incredibly difficult. (I also adore Tim Gunn and want to adopt him and have him live at my house...but that's a different topic)

Anyway...I will save these photos but for no apparent reason really. And then today I thought maybe I should start a new feature on the blog where I try to find a room which resembles the fashion statement. It's not exactly the same as being able to create the room myself - but I did realize that some of the same things I'm drawn to in fashion often draw me into a room as well.

So to start off:

(ignore the fact that she's getting her tights and shoes all wet...one must suffer for art...)


Rooms that embody the spirit of the fashion:


Like the fashion it does seem that we've thrown caution to the wind here doesn't it? I love the pairings of the pink/red and blue. Pinks, Oranges, blues and a menagerie of colors and styles that make this kitchy and cool.
A smidge more demure than the fashion might suggest, but all the great color combinations.
Love the lines of that counter, and the color!

The thing I love about this is that you can use the idea to decorate. Some people are much more sure of their personal style and the things that they like in clothing, than they are of decor. But if you know you're a JCrew girl, a Gap girl, or an Hermes lover, why not use the things you love about a certain style to help you decide your decor? It's a whole new way to look at design!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails