Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Finally Finished - Latest Project!



I really wanted to finish this way before now but it just wasn't happening. Remember when I first announced this project and I had some ideas, well you can go click on that link to read about it, or maybe this photo will remind you of the horrible blue I was dealing with before:



Anyway, I had to re-think several of my ideas and my dad solved one problem for me (the closet was full of storage and the closet never worked very well for clothes, my dad basically re-built it while he was in town and that totally solved my problem there, then I culled down the storage and moved some of it to the smaller bedroom, which will become Holden's when he gets home...that will be one of my next projects)

So here are the after photos, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering I had to work with the blue carpet. I decided not to go as dark with the paint as I had been planning and went gray instead of black or charcoal. I think it was best. The photos were taken in the afternoon when there is a lot of light in that room, on a not so great camera, so there are a lot of sun spots on the shots.




I knew with the gray walls and the blue carpet I had to figure out some way to pull it all together, and Brennan was pretty set on this bed. It's a low (platform style) bed like I had planned on but the headboard was different than I expected. Later, I realized it matched the wood in the dresser anyway, so I incorporated a few beige items into the decor and trim. Then I added the green and still hinted at the blue. I like the way it turned out.




I think the gray we chose ended up working with both the carpet, and the blue lights and fan, which I also didn't want to have to deal with replacing.



See how my dad totally made this a useable closet again? Thanks dad. There are no closet doors so I hung black curtains that can be pulled closed.

Then I added some original art work that we put together - I might add a little more later, but for now I think we're finished.





I also had to decide if I wanted to keep the stencil behind the door Holden had done a long time ago. He took a photo of a little girl at the beach in california years ago, then he blew it up into a stencil and had stencil'd it on the backside of the bedroom door. So it's a completely original Holden Hays artwork. In the end, I didn't have the heart to paint over it, so I painted around it and left the hot pink. Brennan wanted to british flag hung (it cracked me up when I was hanging it...it says "made in the USA" on the back of it. So apparently, we don't make many things here in the US, but we make british flags...

I'm so glad to be done! On to the next project.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

L-O-V-E it !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails