Saturday, April 09, 2011

Why I heart Pinterest...and why I don't think it's a waste of time...or at least I like to tell myself that...



So a little while ago I discovered pinterest. And ever since I've been singing it's praises to friends. Many of whom I think still don't 'get' it. So here are the reasons I think it's awesome and I think you should go check it out.

First of all, you get your own page to act as a curator of things that you really like or love. Or ideas that you just want to remember. How often do you see something somewhere on the internet but later, you have no idea where you saw it? That happens to me fairly often. It's one of the reasons I save all these decor ideas. Just IN CASE, even if I think there's little chance I'll actually get around to using them, I want to be sure I can find them again. But I'll see a recipe or some craft project or just some interesting quote or something and then later I'll be bummed that I can't find it. With pinterest, you can always find everything that you care enough to save without having to save it to your computer or worry about how to file it on your computer so you can find it again.

But let me offer a practical example. Suppose I'm a person who loves to bake. And sometimes I surf the internet looking for baking ideas. I know I'm probably never going to get around to making everything I see, but I hate to lose the ideas. Well if you find ideas you love on baking sites you can save them with your little pin to your baking board. You can also find a bunch of other like minded people on pinterest saving their own baking ideas, and usually, there is a link back to the original page where it was located on the internet. Very handy. Here are a few baking ideas that I saw on pinterest today:





and let's say that you are super obsessed with baking, you could have a separate board for cakes, cookies, pies, etc. That's the thing I love - you can keep track of whatever you want and categorize it however you like with as many boards as you want. Think of each board as a separate bulletin board.

Another example. Suppose you're planning a wedding and you're looking for ideas for a wedding dress which isn't strapless (tough to find, but based on pins I'm seeing on pinterest, the strapless gown is finally falling out of favor and lace gowns seem to be enjoying a comeback). Found on pinterest today:









And maybe all you care about right now is planning a wedding. You could have one board for flowers, one for cakes, one for dresses, one for bridesmaids, one for invitations, etc. Maybe you're looking for floral arrangements to the bride or the bridesmaids to carry which are unique. Found on pinterest today:





See what I mean? It's great resource. Even if you aren't in the mood to search the internet for flowers, you could always just search pinterest and find all the best stuff that other people have already curated to their boards for you.

So what else is on pinterest? Well, it's pretty much full of beautiful things. Home decor ideas, pithy quotes, gorgeous photography, excellent travel destination ideas, lovely portraits, fashion, shoes, accessories, crafts, sewing projects, quilts, colors, design and many other happy things.

To see my pinterest page go here: MY PINTEREST PAGE

Pinterest adds just a little bit of happy into my life.

2 comments:

Mamie Coffey said...

You don't have to convince me, girl. I am all over it with ya. For the very same reasons. I was so glad to find pinterest because my bookmark bar was a *mess*! No great way to categorize, and no real visual to remind you what it is you like about the site. Pin on, girl- cause Imma followin' you :)

Noelle said...

I'm looking forward to the summer so I can find time to actually use mine :) P.S. I love that first wedding dress and am loving those lace dresses more and more everyday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails